Sir Robert L. Borden Business and Technical Institute provides a unique educational alternative for students who have an aptitude for hands-on learning and/or who have been experiencing academic difficulty in elementary grades or in regular secondary school settings. The Borden program is designed to help develop sustainable employability skills
and foster positive attitudes and behaviours. We emphasize academic skills such as the ability to communicate clearly, think critically, and act logically. Personal management skills such as responsibility, adaptability and teamwork skills are also highlighted.
The combination of academics and practical work-related training enables Borden students to develop those skills that will serve them well whether they join the work force, enter an apprenticeship program, or go on to other post-secondary education.
Students who attend Borden are expected to fulfill all the requirements of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma. In grade 9, students sample the specialization programs offered in business and technology. In grade 10, each student chooses a minimum of two and a maximum of four introductory specialty courses before selecting his or her preferred focus in Grades 11 and 12. The five specialties include Residential Construction, Hairstyling and Aesthetics, Food Preparation, Information Management Technology, and Transportation Technology. Each program focuses on generic work and employability skills, includes practical work-related experience and is supported by a strong academic core.
Our Special Education Program includes literacy, numeracy, language lab, learning strategies, mentoring and always involving parents and guardians in building an appropriate Individual Education Plan.
- Our school emphasizes small classes and specialized program delivery and focuses on remediation,literacy and numeracy; Character Education and we are a TRIBES school.
- Applied, Essential, and Open courses are offered in Grades 9 and 10; College and Workplace courses are available in Grades 11 and 12; mathematics is required every year.
- Co-operative education is a requirement for all students prior to graduation.
- Apprenticeship opportunities include OYAP, Citi-Motive Power, Child and Youth Worker, Assistant Cook, and Interior Finishing Systems.
- Extensive support services are available on site: social worker, special education specialists, community agency settlement worker, Change Your Future, ESL/ELD support staff, special support for at-risk students.